Friday 22 February 2008

Wheat, Gluten & Dairy Free Pumpkin Scones!

Inspired by the talk of Fresh HomeGrown Veggies and simple baking of delicious munchies such as Scones, courtesy of Lightening Online, Chookies, Down To Earth & Dancing With Frogs, I decided to be adventurous and try to bake some Gluten, Wheat & Dairy Free Pumpkin Scones.


Now this doesnt sound much, but I have almost forgotten how to bake as for a long time with both kids having such opposite food intolerances, it was just too hard and too expensive, I had to get my head around normal things like school lunches and dinners that didnt take me all night to do (one is anaphylactic to egg, dairy intolerant but can eat wheat & loves fish but hates chicken and meat, the other is severely wheat and gluten intolerant, cant stand fish and lives on eggs, dairy, meats and fresh produce).


So, I managed to succeed in making an edible and rather delicious pumpkin scone with my own homegrown Jap Pumpkin and BOTH KIDS CAN EAT IT (although Miss Boo will only be able to have small amounts as it does contain cooked egg, but her medications cover the reactions to trace amounts of cooked egg, so she will only wheeze rather than have anaphylaxis).


Here is the recipe:


1/2 Cup of Sugar (I used ordinary white sugar for this)

1/4 Teaspoon of Salt

1 Tablespoon of Nuttelex ( I used 2 soup spoons lol as I cant find my tablespoon)

1 cup of cooled mashed pumpkin

1 Egg

2 1/2 Cups of Self Raising Flour (Orgrans Self Raising Flour)


Plus another 1/2 - 1 Cups of Self Raising Flour on board to turn mixture out onto

  1. Preheat oven at 250 degrees celcius and place shelf at the top.

  2. Prepare tray with grease or grease paper.

  3. Using an electric beater, mix the sugar, salt and butter to resemble breadcrumbs.

  4. Mix in the Egg and then the pumpkin.

  5. With beaters turned off, fold in the flour (lighter consistency than icing sugar, so turns into a dust cloud if the beaters are on before its mixed through) , once moist, beat until mixture is consistent.

  6. Turn out onto board with the other 1/2 cup of flour and attempt to knead (it is very sticky, reminiscent of CLAG GLUE). At this stage if you think it is too sticky, slowly add more flour and knead a little more.

  7. Break into smaller chunks, shape or round as desired (i just made them into rounds about 5 cms diameter and 3 cms high).

  8. Cook for 10 - 15 mins dependant on your oven (mine took 13 mins)

  9. Place on rack to cool slightly and then serve with some more Nuttelex ( or butter and cream if you can have dairy!)

Ingredients in Orgrans Self Raising Flour are : - Maize Starch, Tapioca Flour, Rice Flour, Raising Agents (glucono delta lactone & sodium bicarbonate) and Guar Gum.

And the results speak for themselves (ignore the burnt bits, my oven and I have issues), the mix made 8 decent sized scones (I have already scoffed two and sent one over the road for my boyfriends mother to try, as we are trying to convince her that gluten/wheat free doesnt necessarily mean taste free).
Cheers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh they look yummy!!

I want them for me!!!!

Anonymous said...

well they look nice!!

I found a recipe for plain scones in my food allergy book and some biscuit recipes if you want them with no gluten, wheat, dairy or egg if you want them?

Have a pressie for you on my blog hon too

Anonymous said...

They look pretty good and yummy! Not to forget HUGE, lol

Will be trying your recipe,

xx
A